Prepare for an Appointment
We are here to assist patients before, during and after their visit Crittenton Hospital Medical Center.
- Questions to Ask your Doctor
- Download Crittenton Wayfinding Maps
- Helpful Forms & Checklists
- Health & Safety Tips
Never be afraid to ask questions, especially when it comes to your health. Below are some recommended questions to ask your doctor.
REGARDING YOUR SYMPTOMS
- What do you think is causing my problem? How can I stop or prevent further instances of this problem?
- Am I contagious?
- What should I do to avoid infecting others?
- What symptoms should I watch for?
- What, if any, tests should I take to diagnose the problem, and are they safe?
- What will these tests tell me and how accurate are they?
- When will I get the test results?
- What is the short and long-term outlook of my disease or condition without treatment?
- How will this disease or condition affect my home and work life?
- Should I schedule a follow-up visit and if so, when?
REGARDING YOUR TREATMENT
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks and benefits of these options?
- What if I don’t have, or delay, treatment?
- How long will treatment take?
- What are the financial costs associated with these treatments?
- What should I avoid doing during treatment?
- Why do I need surgery?
- What are my surgical options and what are the risks and benefits of these options?
- Are there alternatives to surgery?
- What if I don’t have this surgery?
- How much will this surgery cost?
- How long will I be in the hospital and how long will it take me to recover?
- Are there any minimally invasive surgery options?
Important: Establishing an accurate diagnosis is crucial to proper treatments. You are the most important person in this process and should accurately describe to your doctor the character, location, and duration of your symptoms. You should also inform your doctor about any vitamins, herbs, and medications you are taking. Read more about Crittenton’s Surgical Services.
If you are a patient or visitor preparing for your visit to Crittenton, download our way finding maps.
The following are services, forms and resources to assist. We are also available to answer your questions via phone or email if you need additional assistance.
Taking an active role in your care has many advantages. Below are some tips for you and your family to help us ensure your health and safety.
Tip #1: Be involved in your health care.
- Take part in all decisions about your treatment. Speak up if you have questions or concerns and be sure you have all the information you need.
- Share any special needs you may have.
- Ask a family member or friend to accompany you when you visit your doctor if you are too ill or stressed to participate yourself.
Tip #2: Ask hospital staff to tell you what they plan to do before you consent to any procedure.
Tip #3: Bring your doctor a list of your medications you take and allergies that you have.
- The list should include all over-the-counter medications, home remedies, herbal medications and weight gain/loss products such as shakes or pills.
- Know what medications you are taking, why you are taking them, and their potential side effects.
- Let the doctor or nurse know of any allergies and type of reactions or side effects you have.
If you have any concerns about patient care and safety, you are encouraged to contact Crittenton’s hospital leadership at 248-652-5000 and the Operator will direct your call. You may also contact the Customer Service Comment Line at 248-652-5606.